Sunday, April 24, 2011

Planting is done!

Yesterday it looked like today was going to be real nasty weather wise. When I got up this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find blue skies and sun shining. What a perfect day to plant! It's been 70-75 degrees, and apparently will be rather warm the whole rest of the week. Needless to say I've been busy getting all the seedlings out, and potatoes in the ground. Last year I thought I might have been a little early taking them out, but went with Survival of the Fittest. It will be the same this year. If they don't make it, well... too bad. Should be OK though.
Have made a new area for potatoes. I had decided to go with big pots only, but had so much potatoes left that I figured why not put some in the ground. We'll see how that works out. Not quite sure about the soil there, but will test it a little later and amend accordingly.

As we speak the weather is turning nasty again. Very dark skies and big raindrops starting. Great!! I needed to water all the new plantings but now the rain will take care of it. :-)



The chickens are growing like weed, and the Cornish X Rocks are really amazing. They have almost tripled in size in barely 2 weeks. They have a tendency to hog the feeder. They just drape themselves in front of it and stay. I want to remove the feed from them at night, to prevent any leg problems later on, so today I separated the laying chicks. They can do with full feed access and I was starting to get a little nervous about the size difference and the meat birds hogging the feeders. Even though I use 2 feeders I want to make sure. They still need the heat lamp so I've placed that in the middle of the two drought guards. The laying chicks seemed to miss their bigger buddies for all of 10 minutes, then they were fine. I guess they'll have to go through the whole pecking order again, but rather now than later. They're so darn cute!